Le Tre Grazie, 1812/1816
Marble, 17x57x97 Cm
Le Tre Grazie is the name given to two sculptures by Antonio Canova depicting the three famous goddesses of Greek mythology and made between 1812 and 1817. There are two versions: the first is kept at the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, while one replica is exhibited at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
In this work Canova takes up the subject of mythological inspiration of Zeus’ Daughter, Aglaia, Eufrosine, and Talia, the three beneficial deities that spread splendor, joy and prosperity in the human and natural world. It was, therefore, a subject that was well suited to Canova’s desire to reproduce in sculpture the ideal of a female beauty serenading by taking up the example of classical statuary, in perfect line with neoclassical theories.